Sunday, June 2, 2013

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood


This is my favorite "at home" spot where I read, serve meals, work on my computer, and stitch during nice weather. Sometimes I just sit and watch the birds and other wildlife and maybe take a picture or two. Right now I'm watching a buck munch on bushes and hummingbirds sipping sugar water. 

I spent a couple of hours earlier today getting the porch and deck ready for summer. I planted the four hanging baskets with red geraniums and I started my "herb garden" in pots on an old bench. I love using fresh herbs for summer cooking. 

Wayne will be planting two new shrubs, a potentilla and a barberry, to replace the ones that didn't survive the winter. At the moment he's building low wooden frames for three potentilla on the sloped side of the porch. He's hoping they will help hold more water to drip down to the roots. These three haven't done as well as the bushes in front of the house that are on flat ground. Gardening in Estes Park is not easy with the especially dry climate and abundance of critters (deer, elk, ground squirrels, chipmunks, etc.) that love to eat everything!


The potted herb garden so far, has basil, chives, orange mint, and rosemary. I'll be adding more.






These are the two new shrubs for the front of the house.

1 comment:

  1. Very, very nice all: the house and the plants!

    ReplyDelete