Friday, May 22, 2009

Elk Horn, Iowa

We are in the little town of Elk Horn, Iowa for my husband's 50th high school class reunion. Most of the people that live here are of Danish heritage. Elk Horn has an authentic Danish windmill, built in Norre Snede, Denmark in 1848. In 1975 it was purchased, disassembled, and shipped to Elk Horn where it was reassembled and restored to working condition. It is a tourist attraction where visitors can take guided tours, watch wheat and rye being ground by wind power and purchase Danish gifts from the adjacent shop. We're in the midst of Elk Horn's annual Tivoli Fest. In addition to a parade and delicious Danish food, there are lots of fun things to see and do. I always visit Prairie Star Quilts when I'm in town. I think I'll head over there right now and see what's new.

No comments:

Post a Comment