Friday, March 23, 2018

Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine



Several years ago I purchased a Singer Featherweight sewing machine at a quilt show. She is a beautiful, sturdy little machine, weighing in at 11 pounds, so is the perfect sewing machine to take to classes, workshops, etc. Mine was made in 1956 and lovingly maintained - she sews like a dream. I, like many Featherweight owners, have given her a name - Alice Ruth - after my grandmother and great-grandmother. My husband thinks it's odd to name a sewing machine - he doesn't get it.

I recently joined a Facebook group of Featherweight enthusiasts and I frequently visit The Singer Featherweight Shop website, getting inspiration and useful information from both sites.

Alice Ruth has been packed away in a closet since I got my fancy Husqvarna Viking machine but I'm going to lots of sewing group meetings these days and Alice Ruth is so much more portable. I'll clean and oil her later this afternoon so she'll be ready to go


2 comments:

  1. Ah! What a splendid sewing machine! It's like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looking at this little machine makes me smile and sewing on it brings me joy!

      Delete