Saturday, February 11, 2017

Quilting Inspiration From a Tiny Tropical Island



http://quiltersmuse.com/Pagtinabangay-book-review.html

Last week's Estes Valley Quilt Guild program was one of the best I've attended. Dana Jones presented Pagtinabangay: The Quilts & Quiltmakers of Caohagan Island. This is also the title of her book which details the story of Caohagan, a 13 acre - 600 inhabitant island in central Philippines. One hundred of its inhabitants, both women and men, create the colorful and distinctive quilts which are sold abroad. The profits from these quilt sales supply one third of the island community's revenue which has enabled the community to train three midwives and expand its school.

Pagtinabangay is a Visaya word which means working in cooperation for the good of all. The book is full of pictures and details about the Caohagan way of life and the importance of quiltmaking. I bought a copy and have been savoring it slowly. The quiltmakers use fabric manufactured in the Philippines. The colors and motifs are based on everyday island life (animals, fish, birds, flowers, trees, people, houses, and activities).

Below are photos I took of a few of the quilts Dana brought to her presentation.
They are copyrighted and used with permission.








A fish ready to be appliquéd.


I was thrilled to be able to purchase a small wall quilt and had difficulty choosing my favorite. I haven't yet decided where I'll hang it. Just looking at it makes me smile!





No comments:

Post a Comment