Thursday, January 30, 2014

New Baby, New Quilt


My nephew's wife gave birth to an adorable healthy baby girl yesterday morning. We started getting photos on phone and computer within an hour of her birth. The baby, Maisy Jane, has a four year old big sister, June Jett. They live only a couple of hours away so I should have a chance to meet the newest member of the family soon.

As soon as I saw the photos of little Maisy Jane I was inspired to make her a "cuddle quilt" using the disappearing four-patch pattern I just learned and fabric from my stash of thirties reproduction fabrics. I worked most of yesterday and I'm continuing to piece the blocks today. I'm enjoying the process immensely.

Here's a brief look at how the blocks are assembled.


Start with a simple four-patch. I used five inch squares of fabric sewn like this.


Using a rotary cutter, slice the block four times one inch from center.


Do a bit of rearranging. This is the tricky part. Sew back together in the new arrangement.


Add the block to its sisters on the design wall. The new block is second from bottom on left.
When it's finished, it will get a border and machine quilting.

1 comment:

  1. Oh! The baby girl is adorable and her "cuddle quilt" will be sweet. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete