Sunday, April 21, 2013

Elaine's Baby Quilt





















Elaine, my dear friend, died last June after a valiant fight against breast cancer. Her husband gave me most of her quilting fabric, books, patterns, and tools to distribute to her quilting friends and groups. While going through this paraphernalia I happened upon a plastic bag with many four-patch blocks that Elaine had sewn from a variety of charming flower prints. At about this same time I learned from Elaine's husband Jack that their daughter is pregnant with a girl due in July. Elaine died before this baby was conceived so hadn't made a baby quilt like she had done for their five other grandchildren. With Jack's blessing and gratitude I'm using those blocks as the centerpiece for a baby quilt for this granddaughter. I'm almost finished with the top - just need to sew on the purple border - after which I'll layer and baste it. A few of Elaine's other friends and I will hand quilt it in time for Jack to take it with him when he visits his daughter's family after the birth. It warms my heart to know that this little girl with have a quilt with so much of her loving grandmother's work in it.

1 comment: